LASIK is a safe trusted treatment that has been used for over 25 years to help people out of their glasses and contact lenses. Here are some interesting facts about LASIK.
1. LASIK stands for Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis, which literally means "sculpting" of the "cornea".
2. LASIK Eye Procedure is painless.
3. LASIK is very quick and the actual procedure only takes minutes to complete (both eyes). The laser part is over in seconds.
4. LASIK can correct: Myopia = near sightedness; Hyperopia = far sightedness; Astigmatism = irregular shaped cornea.
5. Up to 98% of people who wear glasses or contact lenses could be suitable candidates for Laser Eye Procedure.
6. LASIK can greatly improve vision without glasses and the majority of people can see 20/20 the next day after the procedure.
7. LASIK is very safe. On the other hand, there is an actual risk of vision loss from infection caused by using contact lens.
8. The excimer laser used in LASIK cannot burn your eyes or skin. The laser is in fact cold and does not heat the eye.
9. A number of celebrities and sports stars have had LASIK done, including: Elton John, Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, Kim Kardashian and Richard Branson.
10. LASIK has been around for over 25 years and was first introduced in 1990, and became FDA approved in the United States in 1999.
This post originally appeared on Bowen Eye.